Friday, October 28, 2011

Reply...

As you cannot comment on other people's comments on Blogger, I will comment here in response to my mom's comment to my last blog post. I hear you. This information web is totally valuable, and sometimes numbingly overwhelming. I also think it's an admirable goal to put laptops, particularly with internet access, in the hands of children in developing countries. However, before this could possibly do any good, we must ensure that these children can read and encourage them to be the principal actors in the development of their own lives and communities. That is, we must do these things in order to further my personal agenda of having their lives be lovely in one of the ways my life has been lovely. In other words, you are also completely correct that this is not implicity necessary to having a beautiful and full life. However, I believe that there is no stopping the change of the world. No stopping the "development" of the world. I would love it if the directors of that development were the people it affected rather than the people profiting from those it affects, and for that reason, I would like the people of my small village to be able to read and access the network of information so widely shared in the world in the form of books and internet sites like wikipedia.

1 comment:

  1. I "hear" you too. And I agree that providing a basic level of education is necessary; as a teacher of graduate students, I'm personally committed to much more than basic education.
    But we have to be sure that the impetus for that education among those we sometimes call preliterate, isn't just coming from us. You referred to this problem before. It's hard to know what you want when you've never been exposed to anything else to want.

    ReplyDelete