Monday, June 6, 2011

Settling in...

Returning to my village was like showing up at a camp site. You realize how quiet it is, how much better the air is, how pretty it is, and you’re legitimately happy that there’s a bit of work ahead of you related, simply, to the business of living.  I like getting my water from the well.  I like doing my laundry by hand sitting in the shade of a tree. I love how peaceful it is here.  Definitely glad they put me in a little village now that I’m over the initial shock and trepidation. 
Nothing new really to report.  Jazz fest is coming up in a few days. This is an international music festival held here in Saint-Louis, Senegal, and I’m super psyched to spend a night there. I will also try to upload my newest photos while I’m at the regional apartment for that.
Today. Not much to say. I actually spent the better part of the day in my room resting to get over a strange combination of biir bun daw (stomach that runs) and dizziness.  Which may or may not have been related. I tend to get dizzy spells associated with spiritual movement, so maybe that’s all that was. I think it’s over…? I was super glad I left my room when I did. The women were having their Sunday gathering, and it was lovely to see some friends there.  Even if I still mostly sit and listen. Also, the kids here are a saving grace.  I think I’m far more amused by them that the other women simply because I don’t have any, so I’m not constantly dealing with their shenanigans.  I can always use more playing with kids in my day.  Their innocent goofiness is so lovely! When I came home, my brothers two-year old son was crazy.  He was interested in the keys attached to the strap of my backpack, and would chase them as I turned in circles where I stood. For some reason, this was hilarious to me, and we both just laughed and spun until he fell over from the dizziness. Adorable.  THEN I saw KITTENS!!! There are four baby baby kittens living in my family’s shed that my host sister-in-law takes care of.  ADORABLE!! The people here don’t play with their animals. They don’t hold them or pet them. They throw things at them when they get too close.  So the animals don’t exactly trust people. But these kittens are sooo young, I have hope that we can be friends J Pictures to follow.  Adorable!!
Dinner time!

No comments:

Post a Comment